Please read the briefing below and review all attachments to familiarize yourself with parking, check in, kayaker pairing and start procedures.
• Please arrive early as parking opens at 6:00am and check in/kayaker pairing will open at 6:00am. Check in closes at 7:15. (see start area map, note there are two pages on start map, one is zoomed out to show parking entrances)
• Enter parking lot at the entrance marked with green chem lights and follow direction of parking attendants. Parking closest to registration table is reserved for vehicles unloading kayaks.
• At check in you will be body marked, get a color coded cap and receive a bib and timing chip with corresponding race number.
• You will also receive a dry bag to store clothes, keys, towel, etc which will be transported by truck to the finish area.
• Proceed to the kayak staging area and your designated wave corral where, if not already assigned, you will be paired with a kayaker; hand bib to your kayaker.
• Your kayaker is your guide across the bay. Establish a rapport with him/her that includes the emergency procedures as well as a way to communicate between yourselves.
• Pre race brief will begin at 7:15. Please listen carefully to instructions for following the course buoys and emergency procedures.
• First wave leaves at 8:20 with 5 minutes in between each.
• Please do not enter the water until your wave is called, there will be a head count in the swimmer corral before entering the water.
Items to bring
• Wetsuit-mandatory unless cleared by Kurt Ott and Rory O’Connor PRIOR to race morning.
• Towel and blanket for finish
• Please bring all fundraising checks/cash in sealed and marked envelope to the Donation Tent
• There will be a shuttle to ferry swimmers back to start area …parking is limited at Hula Bay, carpool if possible. Since shuttles are limited, we ask that vehicles heading back to the start with extra room to please try to match up with swimmers who need a ride. The MC will be making announcements regarding match ups.
• We will have an early check in on Saturday evening from 4-7pm at the Homewood Suites by Hilton
• There is a hotel shuttle running from the Homewood Suites to the start on Sunday morning. There is also an on-call shuttle providing service from Hula Bay back to the hotel until 2:30pm on Sunday. Call the hotel for pick up.
• Please read the attached emergency procedures and also the kayak brief which was sent in a previous email. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with these procedures with your kayaker.
• Meet us for a pre race warm up swim at the start area on Gandy Beach Saturday around noon…nothing structured or formal.
Remember to join us at Hula Bay Bar & Grill for the Kill Cliff/3 Daughters Brewing post race party featuring lunch buffet, beer provided by 3 Daughters Brewing, awards ceremony and raffle. Entry wristbands for friends and family will be available at early check in, the finish area and Hula Bay for $15 each.
0600 Race start area/parking open at Gandy Beach.
0600 Check in
0715 Support Staff on Station/Comms check/Medical check
0715-0740 Swimmer & Kayaker Brief with Q&A
* Swimmer group photo immediately following the briefs.
0745 Navy ROTC Post/Opening Ceremony (reading of names of KIA/KIT)
0800 National Anthem/Colors
0820 Wave 1 start
0825 Wave 2 start (Honor Wave)
0830 Wave 3 start
0835 Wave 4 start
0840 Wave 5 start
0845 Wave 6 start
0850 Wave 7 start
1045 Swim Course closes
1100 After Race Party & Awards Ceremony at Hula Bay Waterfront Bar & Grill